Moving house is no easy feat. I remember when we moved into our family home, we spent the weeks leading up to the move gathering moving boxes and packing for hours at a time, folding, sorting and piling our entire life’s contents into boxes. The day before the move we took a full day to clean the new house before we filled the moving truck with our belongings. We were no strangers to bending, lifting and labouring as we worked hard to get the new house in order. When the move was complete, then came unpacking, sorting and arranging, followed by going back to the old house to spend another full day to clean it for the new tenants.
Finally when all of the boxes were unpacked, the kitchen sorted and all was stored away, we could take a breather and begin to relax.
A new home is a reason to celebrate and a joyful occasion to commemorate with friends and family. Moving house brings you into a new season where new memories will be made and what better way to honour the momentous occasion than throwing a house warming party.
A home is a safe abode and a place of rest, therefore you will want to add your personal touch to the place and make it feel like your own. Family and friends may wish to bring a small sentiment to your housewarming to show that they care and are happy for you in this new season of your life.
A carefully selected housewarming gift can add character and charm to the home. So what are some good housewarming gift ideas that are thoughtful, fun but still practical enough to be of value to the new home owners?
We have put together a list of 15 housewarming gift ideas that will not go to waste:
- Beeswax wraps for covering leftover foods are a great idea for home owners who are particularly environmentally aware and like to reduce waste in their kitchen. These are available from health food stores or online.
- A plant to brighten up the space. Consider plants that are easy to take care of, such as succulents, for the home owners that have less of a green thumb. Less demanding plants that don’t require daily watering and do well in a variety of climates are a great option.
- Tea and coffee mugs will always be of great use and even if the home owners already have some, it’s great to have spares for entertaining guests or to replace the existing ones when they break. Expand your gift by adding a set of fun coasters.
- Order a personalised sign to be used as a wall decoration for example “Mr & Mrs Smith” or “The Smiths”
- A scented candle can create an ambient and warm atmosphere in the home and release a wonderful smell to add to the atmosphere.
- A cook book for the whizz in the kitchen to inspire new gourmet creations.
- A fruit platter or bowl to store fresh fruits and/or decorations.
- Have a cheeseboard personally engraved with the family name to be used for guest entertaining or as a wall decoration.
- A beautiful vase with fresh flowers to be proudly displayed.
- Create your own gift hamper with a variety of treats and goodies – select a basket from an op shop or at your local discount store, add some delicious snacks and wrap with clear cellophane and a nice ribbon.
- If your budget is low, consider making something sweet like cookies and place them in a personalised cookie or snack jar.
- Decent towels – it’s always good to upgrade old towels with a fresh set of soft and luxurious towels. Also consider teatowels for the kitchen, which can become faded and dirty quickly.
- A bottle of vintage wine with personalised wine glasses to toast the special occasion
- For something really personalised, create a music playlist on a USB with your favourite tunes for a lazy Sunday.
- Design a pamper package with a bath bomb, body wash, hand soap and a nourishing hand cream.
If all else fails, consider a useful gift for the kitchen; a lemon squeezer, a double oven mit or a soda streamer. The thought matters more than the gift!